How to move to the Netherlands from Lithuania
Registering as a resident of the Netherlands
If you want to move to the Netherlands from Lithuania, a registration procedure with a Dutch municipality is compulsory. If you intend to stay in the Netherlands for less than four months, you need to register as a temporary resident (non-resident) of the Netherlands. The Dutch authorities provide you with 19 registration desks in the main cities of the Netherlands. A valid identity document is what you need for non-resident registration. Providing proof of your address in Lithuania in a clearly legible form it is advisable in this situation. If you plan to stay in the country for more than four months, you have to register as a resident of the Netherlands. This procedure has to be done within the first five days of your arrival in the Netherlands and is free of charge. Here is a list of the documents you have to bring to the town hall:
• A valid passport or any identity card;
• A rental contract or a sale contract of your house in the Netherlands or a proof that you have a stable home address in the country; For the last situation, the person must declare in writting that you live in his/her house. Also bring a copy of his or her identity document with you;
• Other important Lithuanian documents – birth certificates, marriage certificates;
• A written declaration from the person you live in with in the Netherlands, if applicable.
Note that if you delay the registration procedure, you may receive a fine up to 325 EUR. Our immigration lawyer in Netherlands can help you move from Lithuania and assist you in registering with a Dutch municipality.
Arranging a home address in the Netherlands
After your registration as a resident in the Netherlands, you receive a citizen service number (burgerservicenummer, BSN). This number is very useful in several situations:
• Opening a bank account in the Netherlands;
• Arranging a general practitioner or going to a hospital in emergency cases;
• Enrolling your children in a Dutch school if you bring them with you to the Netherlands.
There are several possibilities to arrange a home address in the Netherlands when moving from Lithuania. You can rent a house from a housing association which usually advertises its vacancies on the municipality website. Other possibilities for finding accommodation in the Netherlands are: renting via your employer or employment agency, renting from a private individual, living with other labor migrants or buying a house in the Netherlands.
If you plan to move from Lithuania to the Netherlands and need help in registering with a Dutch municipality, don`t hesitate to contact one of our immigration Netherlands experts.