Family Reunification in the Netherlands
Family reunification in the Netherlands is possible if the partner, spouse, and/or children comply with several eligibility criteria. One of our experts who offers Netherlands immigration services can give you personalized information based on a specific case and the existing family members. In case you need assistance in other immigration matters, such as citizenship by investment in Netherlands or expat services, our lawyers are at your disposal.
Eligibility criteria for family reunification in the Netherlands
A Dutch resident can apply for a residence permit for his or her family member but only under certain conditions:
- the applicant must have a Dutch residence permit or be a national;
- acknowledge the fact that he or she will have to provide accommodation for the family member who will come and live in the Netherlands;
- be able to financially support the family member coming to the Netherlands.
Young individuals who are working in the Netherlands in an exchange youth program or those who are temporarily working as an au pair may not apply for a residence permit for their relatives.
- Documentation: the family member (spouse, parent, etc.) needs to have a valid passport when submitting the application;
- Clean record: he or she was not found guilty of a criminal offence, was not involved in war crimes, terrorism, crimes against humanity; is not a risk to public order or national safety;
- Tuberculosis test: the family member is required to undergo a tuberculosis test in the Netherlands within three months after the residence permit is issued; this test is not mandatory for all who apply for family reunification in Netherlands; our lawyers can provide you with a list of countries for which it applies;
- Insurance: the one who will be joining needs to be insured in the Netherlands for healthcare costs;
- Integration: the individual is expected to undergo the civic integration process;
- Registration: he or she must also be registered with the Municipal Personal Records Database at the same address as the relative already established in the country.
Individuals who wish to move to Netherlands can find out more about the requirements and criteria for immigration if they talk to our immigration lawyer in Netherlands who specialize in immigration, naturalization, and civil law issues.
If you want to relocate to the country to reunite with family and at the same time obtain a Netherlands startup visa, we can give you details about the process.
Documents required for family reunification in the Netherlands
As previously mentioned, the individual for whom a family reunification application is submitted must comply with the following requirements:
- have a valid passport;
- have a clean criminal record;
- be registered with the Municipal Records Database in the Netherlands;
- have healthcare insurance in the Netherlands;
- proof of income;
- the marriage certificate or an unmarried status statement;
- documents that prove parental custody, when applicable;
- proof of passing the civic integration exam;
- the birth certificate, legalized and translated;
- the copy of the family member’s passport.
These are just some of the conditions that apply to those individuals who wish to reunite with a family member who already lives and works in the Netherlands. Our immigration lawyer in the Netherlands can help answer any additional questions about these requirements.
Do you have Dutch parents? If so, you may qualify for Netherlands citizenship by descent. If you believe this situation applies to you, you can reach out to us for more details.
What rights does the family reunification holder have?
- there were 125 applications for following a family member in the Netherlands in March 2020 compared to 230 submitted in the same month in 2019;
- the number of applications was higher in February and January 2020, at 470 and 460;
- a significant number of applications by individuals following family members was recorded in May 2018 when there were 815 submissions.
You can contact our Netherlands immigration experts to find out more about the conditions for family reunification in the Netherlands.
We can also give you information if you are interested in other options, such as the investor visa Netherlands.