Obtain a Permanent Residence Permit in the Netherlands

Updated on Thursday 02nd March 2017

Rate this article
based on 6 reviews

Obtain a Permanent Residence Permit in the Netherlands Image
Individuals who have lived continuously in the country for five years are able to apply for a permanent residence permit in the Netherlands. This document is issued if the individual is compliant and if he satisfied all of the requirements needed to those who want to immigrate to the Netherlands.

The eligibility criteria for obtaining Dutch permits and visas differs according to the nationality of the individual and whether or not he comes from an EU/EEA country or not. An immigration lawyer in the Netherlands can guide you through the permit application process or can give you advice and counseling on family reunification matters. 

Our specialists invite you to watch a video that summarizes the characteristics of the Dutch permanent residence permit


Permanent residence in the Netherlands

Employees, students or business owners who have lived in the Netherlands for an uninterrupted period of five years, according to the current requirements for living and working in the country, can apply for a permanent residence permit. This is a natural step for any individual who, up until this point, has been working or staying in the country based on a valid residence permit for non-permanent purposes.

Apart from the two conditions of having lived for an uninterrupted period of five years in the country and having had a valid and lawful residence permit during this time, individuals must also prove that they can sustain themselves in the country, that they are not a risk to society and that they are well integrated in the Dutch society (including the fact that they are able to read, write and speak Dutch).

One of the most important advantages of applying for a Dutch residence permit if you do comply with all of the requirements is that you will no longer need to obtain a work permit in the country. This document gives you almost the same rights as any other individual who has Dutch nationality. An important difference is that the residence permit does not allow its holder to vote in national elections or apply for a certain job, like those in a police department or in the army. Individuals who wish to have these further rights will need to apply for Dutch nationality.

A Dutch immigration lawyer or our immigration consultants can help you during the application procedure. The success of the application depends on the particular case of the individual but also on delivering the right documentation. Our advisors who are specialized in immigration and naturalization issues in the Netherlands can provide you with valuable help in this particular case.

Requirements for permanent Dutch residence according to nationality

Permanent residence in the Netherlands can be awarded for both EU/EEA or Swiss citizens but also for those individuals who are coming from different countries. For the latter, the Immigration Department will perform a separate check in order to determine if the provisions of certain EU Directives are met. In some cases, it is important for non-EU/EEA or Swiss citizens to also meet the criteria set forth in the national Dutch legislation.

The following documents are needed for all applications to obtain a permanent residence permit in the Netherlands:
-    travel document copy;
-    proof of stable income in the Netherlands;
-    diploma attesting civic integration.

Certain fees are applicable for obtaining a residence permit. The usual application assessment and processing time is around eight weeks or a maximum of approximately six months.

The residence document can be renewed after it expires. Its validity is five years and the renewal is available for permanent regular residence permits but also for other documents like the permanent asylum residence permit or the permanent residence permit for EU citizens. Long-term citizens in the Netherlands can also apply for a renewal of their Type V permit.

The renewal is not mandatory but individuals are advised to do so for a number of reasons, including the fact that once issued, the residence document can also be used as an official ID card. Our Netherlands immigration experts can give you additional information about the renewal or how to replace the residence permit in case the initial one was lost, stolen or damaged. In the case of theft or loss, it is important to report this to the police and use the V-number provided by the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

Individuals who need help submitting their applications for permanent residency in the Netherlands can contact our immigration consultants in the Netherlands. Exactly like a Dutch immigration lawyer, we can answer all of your questions concerning visas, permits, and naturalization.



Shafkaat Ahmed

March 7, 2017

Hello, I saw you can help with papers for immigration. I send papers to immigration already for my wife to come to holland (im citizen of holland my wife comes from Morocco) but can you help or give advice what to do when it takes longer before getting answer from ind.
Are there any costs for it and do I need
get appointment to visit adress in

Hello Shafkaat Ahmed! Please send us your request via e-mail office@immigration-netherlands.com and we will reply as fast as possible. Have a great day!

Please note that URLs are not allowed in the message.