Types of Visas in the Netherlands

Updated on Tuesday 14th February 2017

Rate this article
based on 3 reviews

Types of Visas in the Netherlands Image
Several types of visas are required in the Netherlands, according to the length of the stay and the purpose of the visit. EU and EEA nationals traveling for short periods of time in the Netherlands can enter the country without a tourist visa and they can also perform other activities in the country without requiring this document. These visitors can stay in the country for up to 90 days in any given 180-day period, without a visa. Other nationals will need to apply for a Dutch Tourist Visa, Business Visa or Medical Visa or another type of visa.

Individuals from countries like Algeria, Bolivia, Cambodia, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Libya, North Korea, Pakistan and other countries need to apply for a visa before entering the Netherlands. This is applicable for individuals who want to immigrate to the Netherlands but also to those who are only interested in traveling or studying for a certain amount of time in the country. Our team of immigration experts can offer you specialized assistance just like a Dutch immigration lawyer would.

Our experts invite you to watch a short video on the types of Dutch visas

Dutch visas for short stays

Short-stay visas are applicable for non-EU/EEA nationals who want to stay in the Netherlands for up to three months. This is commonly used for travel purposes or for family members who are only visiting and are not necessarily interested in family reunification. Some nationals are allowed to visit Aruba, Curacao, St Maarten, Bonaire, St Eustatius or Saba without a visa. One of our Netherlands immigration specialists can give you more details on visiting these locations.

The Type A short-stay visa is used by nationals who are passing through an international airport zone in one of the Dutch airports. The following nationals are required to obtain an airport transit visa when passing through a Dutch airport (for the purpose of changing their flight): Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Nepal, Sudan, Syria, South Sudan, Sierra Leone.

The Type C short-stay visa is required for all individuals (depending on nationality) who are exiting the airport and staying in the country for up to 90 days within a six-month timeframe. This is also referred to as the tourist visa or the Schengen visa. This is also used by those individuals who are planning on crossing more than one Schengen country.

Dutch visas for long stays

All individuals who want to stay in the Netherlands for more than the three-month period (and are not EU/EEA nationals) must apply for a long-stay entry visa. A residence permit is also required although in some cases the individual can apply directly for this type of permit.

Immigration to the Netherlands is permitted under a number of conditions, including one particular condition that requires the individual to live in the country for an uninterrupted period of five years. After this point, individuals can apply for permanent residency in the country.

Dutch visas and permits are issued after a special application and the submission of the required documents.

A few general requirements are asked of all the individuals who enter the Netherlands: have a valid passport (for at least six months following the entry date in the country); have travel insurance; prove the travel purposes and be able to support yourself financially during the duration of the stay. Individuals who pose a threat to others or are included on a list of people banned from entering Schengen countries cannot meet the general requirements to enter the country.

If you need personalized information about traveling to and staying in the Netherlands you can contact a Dutch immigration lawyer or even better, you can get in touch with our Dutch consultants who offer professional and affordable immigration services in the country.  


Filani Oladotun Oladele

October 22, 2016

i am a nigerian. i reside in united Arab emirates working as laborer in an event company in abu dhabi. i wish to migrate to netherland for a better life and to focus on my christian life because its difficult to practice Christianity here. i am a graduate of political science from a Nigerian university. i have worked for six month in this event company. i dont my chances of coming down to netherland, maybe i am qualified or not.

Hello Filani Oladotun Oladele! We kindly ask you to send us your request via e-mail at office@immigration-netherlands.com and we will reply as soon as possible. Have a great day!

Please note that URLs are not allowed in the message.