Immigrate to the Netherlands from South Africa
Before deciding to move to the Netherlands permanently, we recommend request additional information and guidance from our Dutch immigration lawyer. Our team specializes in different issues regarding immigration and can help you if you are a South African citizen. We offer complete pre and post-arrival services so that the transition is a smooth one. The two countries can seem very different and the cultural changes can have a certain impact, depending on age or the business field in which the applicant will work after moving to Holland. This is why we recommend individuals to request additional information apart from the details provided in this article.
We also provide assistance to South African citizens who are already living in the country and wish to apply for Dutch citizenship.
Dutch intra-company visa for South African citizens
Persons from South Africa who want to enter the Netherlands with an intra-company visa need to make proof they are permanent employees of the enterprise from abroad, prepare a valid passport, medical insurance, pass the tuberculosis test and offer details about the financial situation. The company you work for will need to provide to the authorities in the Netherlands details about your status, work position and the purpose of the relocation. It is good to know that the IND (Immigration and Naturalization Service) grants the Dutch intra-company visa for 4 years, without the possibility to extend it, but applying for a new one. With this type of visa, the Dutch residence permit is issued by the same authorities at the same time, for a legal stay in the Netherlands.
The entire procedure can be explained by our immigration lawyer in the Netherlands.
How to apply for a short-stay Dutch visa as a South African citizen
A Dutch short-stay visa is available for a 90-day period in the Netherlands for all citizens of South Africa, with the possibility to extend it. The residence permit is also mandatory and can be issued at the same time with the Dutch visa. And if you are interested in extending your stay in the country, it is recommended to apply for a long-stay visa in the Netherlands which comes with an MVV (provisional residence permit in Netherlands) and is available for more than three months.
- Provide passport copies: the passport or travel document must have been issued within the last ten years and it should have at least two blank pages; moreover, it must be valid for at least three months after the date the applicant arrives in the country.
- Submit the visa application form: this is available online and should be filled in by the applicant with all of the relevant details.
- Photograph: the applicant must submit a recent photograph that us compliant with the general rules for passport photographs.
- Fingerprint: the applicant will provide a fingerprint sample when the application is submitted. They are valid for five years; this requirement does not apply to children under the age of twelve.
- Pay the fee: the visa application has a fee that can be paid directly or through an external services provider; for South Africa, a standard visa is approximately 60 euros; however, we do recommend to check the prices with the consulate general in Cape Town and/or the embassy in Pretoria.
How to apply for a long-stay visa as a South African citizen
Reasons for South African nationals to move to the Netherlands
- Employment opportunities: as seen above, there are certain conditions in order to work in the Netherlands; however, the country does offer opportunities in the services sector, the manufacturing sector and in other sectors.
- Excellent healthcare: the healthcare services in the Netherlands are high quality one and healthcare is mandatory.
- Good connectivity: the country is exceptionally well connected to the rest of Europe and Amsterdam is located close to many important European capitals.
- The living conditions: the high quality of life, low crime rates, good options for education as well as the social life and the vibrancy of Amsterdam are all good reasons to move to the Netherlands.
Expat integration in the Netherlands
- from Q1 to Q 3: 2018: 185,900 immigrants.
- 45.183 thousand individuals from Africa in the first half of 2018 (provisional figures at the date of the statistic, as per the source);
- 2.761 thousand individuals from Africa during the first half of 2017.
Additional details and suitable information about the types of visas for South Africans who want to immigrate to the Netherlands are invited to get in touch with our team of immigration attorneys in the Netherlands.